During the War Between the States, Fauquier White Sulphur Springs changed occupancy several times. During a fierce battle for control of the Rappahannock River, the resort was destroyed after the main Pavilion hotel was struck by a shell and burned to the ground.
During the reconstruction after the war, Fitzhugh Lee, nephew of Robert E. Lee and later Governor of Virginia, along with several other prominent businessmen and former soldiers, forged a plan to reincorporate and renew the ruins of Fauquier Springs to their former grandeur. Visitors continued to use several cottages surrounding the ruins of the hotel to enjoy the healing powers of the white sulphur springs during the summer. Among these visitors were A.D. Payne, H.R. Garden, Bernard Green and Charles Marshall. On April 4, 1877, a charter was granted to these men to form a jointstock company, with Garden as President, to purchase the Springs property and draft plans for a summer resort and sanitarium for the invalid. The plan called for a grand hotel with 100 rooms and modern improvements, as well as a 200 acre park and building lots.
By the fall of 1878, the construction was under way. Architect John Hoffman designed an all brick hotel in the Scots baronial style with high ceilings, wide hallways and airy chambers to optimize ventilation. Modern features included gas, elevators, electric bells and indoor plumbing using sulphur water from the wells. Unlike the Pavilion hotel, the new structure was built along the Rappahannock River with the Blue Ridge Mountains as a backdrop. Cottages still standing from before the war were renovated and formed a semi-circle facing the hotel. New cottages were built near the hotel, including the Garden Cottage, built by H.R. Garden so he could oversee the construction. This home still stands on the Springs property as a private residence near the current clubhouse.
By 1885, the hotel and park were in full use. Paved roadways and exotic gardens were constructed to allow guests to ride through the park and enjoy the waters and scenery. The resort became a popular location for wedding receptions and was featured in the 1894-1895 edition of “Where to Stop—A Guide to the Best Hotels in the World.” However, the demand for construction of new cottages on the building lots was not materializing as the investors had hoped and by 1896, the prosperity of the resort and the appeal of the healing springs was waning.
In September 1896, the company leased the entire property to the Bethel Military Academy for use by the cadets as housing and classrooms in order to try to increase enrollment. After only two years, the academy left the property and it once again returned to a resort. However, on November 14, 1901, a mysterious fire broke out in the top of the hotel and consumed the entire building.
The Springs remained in limbo until 1943 when it was purchased by the son of automotive entrepreneur Walter Chrysler, who owned North Wales near the Springs and was active in breeding thoroughbred horses there in partnership with Alfred Vanderbilt. Walter Chrysler, Jr. undertook major renovations of several buildings including the stables which later would become the clubhouse for the Fauquier Springs Country Club. When Chrysler died in 1940, his son continued the renovations and increased the renown of the area as preeminent hunt country until he sold the property in 1953.